Patients are consumers in today’s healthcare scenario. The focus shifted from seeing patients just as care receivers to accepting them as consumers; healthcare providers have adopted various tools, services, and technology to enhance their practice. However, the most critical aspect providers need to focus on is the Healthcare UX.
Any practice management system of the hospital will perish if patients are not happy with their care services. So, if a hospital or practitioner aims to improve patient experience, they must design an appropriate healthcare UX. Healthcare UX is identified as experiences patients have with providers’ health technology and services.
Designing a healthcare UX is a critical task, as designers or developers need to acknowledge providers, patients, hospitals, pharmacists, and insurers are the primary stakeholders. So, just ensuring patients’ needs isn’t enough. As healthcare UX developers, it is essential to emphasize the usability of tools so that everyone can access them easily. Besides, this healthcare UX design needs to include some critical features to ensure the best results. Some of these features are-
1. Personalization and Customization– Opting for customized UX design in healthcare is a wise move. It allows providers to make decisions as per their needs.
2. Easy Access on Mobile and User-friendliness- Healthcare UX tools are easy to use through mobile accessibility, improving patient experience.
3. Seamless Integration- Whether it’s healthcare automation or smooth electronic data exchange of patient information, the healthcare UX ensures faster and smooth processing of critical data.
4. Chatbots and Appointment Scheduling- A UX design including chatbot and appointment scheduling tools help patients to book and consult providers without any hassle. And this improves their overall experience.
Why is healthcare UX important?
Healthcare management is exploring different ways to improve their patient engagement systems. UX design in healthcare is helping organizations to offer better patient care and receive varied operational benefits. Some of the significant ones are-
1. Digital Services- Todays’ patient population has both geriatric and millennials. This led to the rapid adoption of digital services. Both baby boomers and the younger generation prefer digital tools, especially with the onset of the pandemic. Besides, digital tools like telehealth, electronic health records, and others provide patients with easy accessibility, minimized costs, and more flexibility on their care episodes. This improves patients’ experiences and engagement. So, healthcare UX designers must develop and include digital services to enhance user experience.
2. Enhance Customer Support– Healthcare UX/UI design has additional tools like a chatbot or messaging systems with technological advancements. Tools like these used to enhance user experience in healthcare also strengthen the business and increase productivity, eventually boosting patients’ experiences.
3. Minimizes Troubleshooting– Healthcare UX design isn’t just about patient experiences. It helps providers understand the customer behavior and needs better. It also simplifies complex tasks and even reduces troubleshooting time. Moreover, it also enables providers to develop solutions accordingly to satisfy patients with the care.
4. Creates Patient-provider transparency– In the healthcare system, the relationship between patients and providers is crucial. Medical UX design must ensure transparency between patients and providers, as this assures patients about their involvement in the care delivery. So, UX designers must create helpful and engaging content to inform and improve patients’ engagement. Moreover, this will benefit providers in building trust among their patients regarding the quality of care services.
5. Reduce Costs– One of the most important benefits of healthcare UX design is reduced costs. If patients are burdened with rising medical costs, they avoid treatments and medicines even with insurance. But with well-designed healthcare UX solutions, patients will incur the minimum cost of consulting through its digital/online services. So, reducing the costs of consultancy and many other business operations benefits both providers and patients.
How does OSP use healthcare UX?
At OSP, we understand that designing a customer-friendly healthcare UX solution is essential. It helps customers with customized UX design for healthcare. And our healthcare UX design includes these aspects to assure providers with user experience in healthcare.
Patient Engagement- Researches have pointed out how significant patients are in healthcare decision-making. We at OSP understand this and develop patient engagement systems to boost patients’ experiences. OSP’s patient engagement solutions also strive for lower costs. It even develops strategies to promote patient education and help them collect their information.
Telemedicine– Another user experience in healthcare solutions that OSP provides is telemedicine. Telehealth is widely adopted by providers and patients today. It helps to lower the cost of treatment and even saves time for patients/providers. OSP ensures that it offers customized advanced telehealth solutions to boost users’ experience in healthcare.
mHealth– We also understand the importance of integrated healthcare solutions. With the rising need for improved patient experience, leaders are actively promoting the inclusion of mHealth in UX/UI healthcare. We help healthcare organizations with cloud-computing solutions and healthcare apps on RPM, medical records management, and more. Such a user experience design in healthcare boosts patient outcomes and even simplifies complex processes like medical informatics.
Remote Patient Monitoring– OSP in its healthcare UX design includes remote patient monitoring to boost user experience. The current healthcare ecosystem is patient-centric and ensures that patients get continuous monitoring. So, we offer RPM solutions to assure providers and patients of the best health outcomes. Besides, we also ensure that these remote patient monitoring apps share actionable data to providers seamlessly to help them in decision-making. This seamless data sharing is possible through our healthcare interoperability solutions.
Population Health Management – In our healthcare UX design, population health management is also an essential aspect. OSP has a holistic approach to utilizing population health data to draw real-time conclusions and make evidence-based decisions. This eventually enhances care coordination and boosts patient experiences. Moreover, deploying healthcare analytics solutions help in translating population health data and deriving actionable information to make the best decisions for patients.
Additional Healthcare UX Tools That Boost Patient Engagement
Here are a few UX trends in healthcare that can boost patient experience and simplify complex clinical processes. You can include them in your existing UX/UI design or get a customized healthcare UX design for the best outcome.
Medical Transcription Systems– The healthcare UX includes telehealth, mhealth, and remote patient monitoring apps. The data received from these apps in notes, recording, and images are crucial for further decision-making. So, including a Medical Transcription Systems in healthcare UX design will help doctors and nurses translate these apps’ information into desired languages for timely diagnosis and reduced costs.
Electronic Health Records– Over the last decade, EHR has gained a lot of popularity among providers. However, with advanced integrated EHR, providers can help patients access their information. This advanced EHR allows providers to simplify complex clinical tasks through proper patient and clinic management. Further, as providers, you must ensure that the EHR application is HIPAA compliant so that information is safe. And HIPAA compliant solutions mean improved patients’ trust and experience.
Healthcare UX design is rising today with the emergence and adoption of new technologies. However, the high cost of implementation, lack of resources and support are potential barriers to the user experience in healthcare. But providers and designers must always consider patients’ insights to develop solutions and applications that simplify complex operations and amplify the patient experience. A well-designed UX for healthcare offers 360-degree benefits to healthcare organizations boosting their overall clinical and non-clinical processes.