Health software development has witnessed digitization over the recent years, and this has extended to pharmacy management and practice management. Physicians and administrative staff have realized that a lot of time and effort goes into managing medical records, double-checking prescriptions, and making sure there are no errors. Medication errors may cause preventable injuries and side effects among hospitalized patients. Additionally, such errors can cause financial and reputational damage to medical practices, increased emergency department visits, and prolonged hospital stays.
The introduction of electronic health records emphasized the need for electronic prescribing and implementing e-prescribing software minimized the risks associated with medical errors and patient misreading. An e-prescribing system maintains data confidentiality, adheres to HIPAA compliance, and fills panels for doctors and patients.
Benefits of E-prescription software development
1. Reduced prescription errors
Did you that that 4 in 10 patient deaths are linked to taking medications incorrectly, misdiagnosed, or incorrect prescriptions? Also, illegible handwritten prescriptions can further make matters worse. They may result in incorrect transcriptions and evoke pharmacists to reach out to doctors to find out the exact name and dosage of the medication. E-prescription software development saves all this hassle and conserves time.
2. Automated Insurance verification
When there are many insurance possibilities, different types of insurance can cover different medications in a pharmacy management system. E-prescribing software development helps go through the database and select the medications covered under the patients’ insurance. In this way, a prescription management system integrates healthcare automation.
3. Instant medical reconciliation and better support
Different hospital software development companies may release the same drug under different names, types, and dosages. E-prescribing software development solutions enhance the understanding of drug interactions, and E-prescribing software development also enables tracking of allergies and side effects. The software healthcare development stores patients’ histories, which helps decision-making and prevents incorrect medications from being prescribed or duplicated prescription drugs.
4. Prescription tracking
Around 20-30 % of prescriptions on paper are not filled, and many get misplaced or lost. Prescription tracking is essential for keeping population health management in check. Electronic prescribing software can notify doctors through alerts or notifications. Even if prescriptions are lost, e-prescribing software development stores electronic copies of them, which can be shared with doctors or pharmacy management systems.
5. Facilitated prescription refill
Practitioners and physicians may end up spending too much time dealing with prescription requests and managing the pharmacy inventory system. Pharmacy software system with e-prescription fastens and automates the entire process. Patients can receive automated prescription refills and reminders through electronic prescription systems.
Core features of e-prescription software
1. Patient panel
- The pharmacy software system updates patients about the doctors, personal details, insurance, and prescriptions.
- Encrypts in-app chat to reach out to doctors or notify them about treatment-related details.
- A geo-location-friendly medication system through a pharmacy inventory management system helps locate the nearest pharmacy.
2. Doctor panel
- Provides alerts and updates about medication management with pharmacy software systems.
- Integrates with the national EHR system via an API to view treatment and allergy history using healthcare software development .
- Incorporates medicine database to generate new prescriptions based on the drug’s availability, with e-prescription companies.
- Instantly detects errors that prevent duplication of drugs and prescribes the right dosage.
3. Pharmacist panel
- It offers the ability to view doctors’ orders and accept or reject them.
- Enable to manage medical records history.
- Integrates with payment systems to speed up the delivery.
4. Admin panel
- This feature of e-prescription software development allows management of the users in the system, be it doctors, patients, or pharmacists.
- Promotes review management of pharmacy inventory system.
- Provides access to payment logs if needed due to transparency reasons.
3-step guide for e-prescription app development
1. Research and planning
It is crucial to introduce stakeholders and users into the planning phase of e-prescribing software to make it effective. The key target spheres to discuss are:
· Challenges that may slow down the e-prescription software during its implementation;
· Main features necessary for patients, doctors, pharmacists, and admins;
· Patient engagement platforms that are comfortable with each group of stakeholders.
2. Select the main features and define the objectives
Discuss with stakeholders of electronic prescription companies the features they expect to have while using the e-prescribing software. Consider the main features discussed earlier to make your e-prescribing software development user-friendly for patients, doctors, pharmacists, and admins. You also need to define the key objectives of e-prescription software development. Have an open discussion with e-prescription app development companies, the target audience, and how the interface needs to be planned with the basic features. The initial phases determine the possible implementation problems, estimated budget, tentative completion dates, the primary goals behind the e-prescribing software development, and its integrated features. Planning each step enables successfully executing the project and adhering to strict deadlines. This will also serve applicable for integrated care or collaborative care services.
3. Hire a vendor
The third and last step in e-prescribing software development is crucial for understanding that you have chosen a company with the required expertise for building a successful software product. Ensure that the target company has extensive expertise in developing healthcare technology applications. Also, the developer of the e-prescribing application must be skilled enough in applying such technologies as healthcare cloud Integration.
Pointers to keep in mind for integration of prescription management software
For healthcare interoperability and highly-effective e-prescribing software to meet the needs of all stakeholders, pay attention to the following integrations and compliances with the certified systems.
1. Electronic health record (EHR)
2. Clinical Decision Support (CDS) System
This integration enables studying health informatics, which provides more accurate clinical advice, alerts on prescriptions, and improves clinical decision-making.
3. HL7 solutions
HL7 interface development cab is performed from scratch or integrated into the existing products with e-prescribing software. These solutions help to exchange EHRs securely.
4. Payment services
Payment services are essential for integrating the e-prescribing system because it promotes instant payment for the medications also prescribed if a healthcare institution works with integrated electronic prescriptions.
Healthcare systems require interoperable e-prescription systems that are scalable and serve the needs of patients and physicians. OSP has vast expertise in e-prescribing software development. Our custom solutions incorporate the features that will make your e-prescription app stand out. We also implement the best security practices and encryption to safeguard data management. OSP’s team of software specialists is skilled in various healthcare developers and software applications.
How can we help?
Fill out the short form below or call us at (888) 846-5382
Looking for software solutions to build your product?
Let's discuss your software solutions for your product in our free development acceleration call!Get In Touch arrow_forward
Discuss Your Project Handover with a team of expert Book a free consultation arrow_forward
Signupfor biweekly insights
Written by Riken Shah linkedin
Riken's work motto is to help healthcare providers use technological advancements to make healthcare easily accessible to all stakeholders, from providers to patients. Under his leadership and guidance, OSP Labs has successfully developed over 600 customized software solutions for 200+ healthcare clients across continents.